Cowshed Cottage is a single-storey, two bedroomed holiday cottage which was renovated in 2008. It is situated on the edge of the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley – on the border of England and Wales. It forms part of a totally unique listed farmyard development which was restored to English Heritage requirements. Our 180 acre farm has many footpaths which can lead you directly into England or Wales with stunning views and an abundance of wildlife.
The Cowshed is situated approximately one mile away from Coleford, four miles from Monmouth, and seven miles from Lydney.
- CDS Taxis – 01594 834834
- Forest Cab’s – 01594 832802
- Acorn Cabs – 01594 835010
Coleford and Monmouth have a varied selection of shops/ restaurants/pubs and six supermarkets between them (Waitrose, Marks & Spencer, Tesco, Somerfield, Co-op & Lidl
Arrival and Car Parking
The Cottage has off-road parking for two cars on a tarmaced surface outside the front door. There is a sensored front light which leads you to the entrance via a short gently sloping ramp. If you have extra vehicles or additional requirements please contact us – we are able to provide more parking or secure storage for bikes, canoes, horseboxes, etc.
The front door (30 inches [76cms] wide) leads to a carpeted hallway with doors leading to the lounge and both bedrooms.
Lounge (doorway 31” [79cms] wide)
The fully carpeted lounge has:
- TV, DVD and Video player with a small collection of DVD’s and Videos.
- Two-seater settee with two matching leather chairs.
- Corner cupboard with games, books and a folder containing tourist information leaflets.
- Radiator, Nest of tables.
- Window overlooking fields and remains of historic mansion.
Door leading to:
Kitchen/Dining Room: (doorway 31” [79cms] wide)
Floor covered with anti-slip vinyl. The kitchen is fully equipped with all utensils, crockery needed for your stay (a full list is available on request). The dishwasher, washing machine and fridge with freezer compartment are built in under the worktop which is 90 cms. high. There is a four- ring electric hob with extractor hood and raised electric oven. Microwave. The stainless steel sink/drainer has taps which are lever operated. The kitchen window overlooks the enclosed garden and courtyard and a stable door (2” step inside) leads to the garden – one step (10” high). Fire blanket located on wall in kitchen.
The Dining Area
Equipped with a wooden table with 4 matching wooden chairs. Table height 29” (74 cms.) Seat of chair is 18” (46 cms). Ample halogen lighting. Radiator. (Childs high chair available on request at time of booking).
Double (4ft 6 ins.) pine bed. Cotton sheets, duvet and pillows with synthetic fibre. Extra blankets available. Two bedside tables with drawers and touch operated reading lights. Pine dressing table, stool and wardrobe. Fully fitted carpet.
Door leading to:
En-suite shower room with tiled walls and floor
Fitted corner shower cubicle with 10” (26 cms.) high step into cubicle. Washbasin with lever taps. Mirror with light and electric shaver point. Toilet with handrail alongside. Radiator. Extractor fan. Window overlooking garden and courtyard.
This houses the central heating boiler which provides pressurised hot water to the shower in Bedroom 1 and powers the central heating system and hot water taps, etc. Ironing board, iron, clothes airing rack and clothes pegs are located here.
Twin (3 ft) pine beds. Bedside cabinet with drawers and touch activitated bedside lamp. Clothes hanging rail. Radiator. Fully fitted carpet. Window overlooking fields and door leading to:
En-suite shower room
Walls and floor tiled. Corner shower cubicle with 10” high step to gain access. Electric “sport” shower. Washbasin with lever taps. Mirror with light and electric shaver point. Toilet. Radiator. Extractor fan.
Garden & Patio
A stable door leads from the kitchen (2” step inside/5” step outside) to the small enclosed rear garden. This consists of a lawned area, a patio with picnic bench and solar panel garden lights. Outside sensor operated light.
- The Cowshed and surrounding areas are strictly non-smoking.
- No pets allowed (apart from assistance dogs).
- The Cowshed sleeps a maximum of 4 adults.
- All doorways are at least 30” wide and the doors have lever operated handles. Every room has low level light switches 45” 115 cms (pull cords in shower rooms).
- All taps are lever operated.
- There is no telephone in the cottage, and mobile phone reception is variable, depending on network. A coin operated telephone box is situated half a mile away. In the event of an emergency you may use our landline.
- We live on-site and can be contacted at any time if you have any queries about the cottage or require more detailed information about tourist attractions, restaurants, etc. We have a wealth of information for you about the area as we have lived here for 30+ years!
- We always welcome any suggestions you may have to improve our facilities, because our aim is to provide a holiday experience where you may arrive as strangers but depart as friends.